Hebrews 4:16

Let us then come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Apple Cake

My mom makes some of my most favorite things. Isn't that how it is supposed to be? My sweet son has made a definite declaration of devotion and admiration for many of my recipes with a fervent desire to never leave the house unless he can find a wife who can cook. ha!ha! He's too funny.

Anyway.. my sweet mom will be celebrating her birthday at the end of this month and I want to share one of my favorites from her cookbook. I need to make a sidenote here.. My mom, while an awesome cook and baker in her own right, does NOT like to spend time in the kitchen cooking. Infact, she has the personality where she will tell you how much she dislikes it. However, there are a few things this wife and mom, who loves to be in her kitchen, just can't make like mom. It is those few things which my mom has mastered that provides little bits of comfort for me when I want a good dose of pampering, as we all do once in a while, from our moms.

This will be one of a few posts that I am going to dedicate to my mom this month. In honor of those things that bless me so much about the precious woman God blessed me with.

My Mom's Apple Cake

4 c. apples, cut in small pieces
2 c. flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
2 eggs
1 c. milk or buttermilk

Grease and flour a 9x13 cake pan. Sift together 2 cups of flour, 1 tsp. soda, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 salt. SEt aside. Cream 1 1/2 c. sugar with 1/2 c. butter ( or shortening). Add 2 beaten eggs. Add apples. (My mother insists that you must beat the mixture here rather than stir it because it breaks the apples up a little more and causes the cake to be moist) Pour into the cake pan.

Topping:
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix well, sprinkle on unbaked cake. (You may need to add more sugar and cinnamon if you want a thicker crust.)

Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Here is the most important part. Cover the cake immediately after you pull it out of the oven. I use ( as my mother did) a metal pan with a metal lid that fits on top. You can use aluminum foil or a cookie sheet laid on top of the warm pan too. Let it sit till it cools down a bit. The heat from the pan will make it steam and the topping will be amazing. :) Trust me.

So if you are out visiting the apple orchard this fall or taking advantage of the deals on apples at the grocery store, try this recipe out and treat your family to a good dose of love.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you my lovely daughter. I am not sure it is the fact that I don't like cooking, or the fact that I have cooked for over 30 years, and I am tired of it...lol. But she is correct, this cake is wonderful, her brother could eat a whole cake almost in one day when he was younger, he has cut back a little now. If you choose you can also leave the topping off, and just eat it without any, or put Cream Cheese frosting on it. Thanks for the wonderful message Dawn, I love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete