Hebrews 4:16

Let us then come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Rhubarb Recipes

I was encouraged by Linda's post at Prairie Flower Farm to share some rhubarb recipes. Yumm! We love rhubarb here at our house.



My favorite memories take me back to my grandmother's back porch with my cousin on a warm summer day. We each have a bowl of sugar and a freshly washed and cut ( well.. actually I wonder if we even washed it.) stick of rhubarb. We were in heaven and it was a nice reprieve from our play. When I tried to get my own kids to sample this delicacy from my childhood I was given some wrinkled noses and odd glances. :) Oh, well.



My mom has a wonderful cake that she makes that seems to disappear from the pan as soon as she makes it. Somehow, I find that I can't make it quite as good as my mom though. After an extended search, I found the recipe.

Donna's Rhubarb Cake
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. milk
1 stick oleo
2 1/2 c. flour
1 egg
1 tsp. soda
dash of salt
2 c. chopped rhubarb
Mix all ingredients in order given. Apply topping and bake at 350 for about 1 hour(45 min)
Topping:
Mix 1/2 c. sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon. Sprinkle on cake before baking. ( This is very important)
My mom always used a stainless steel 9 x 13 baking pan for this cake that came with a metal lid. When she took the cake out of the oven she put the lid on top of the pan while the cake was hot. This would cause the steam to condense and fall back on the topping. YUMMMY!

Here is another recipe my mom gave to me:

Rhubarb Custard Cake
Bottom Part:
10 T ( heaping) powdered sugar
1 c. melted butter
1 c. flour
Topping:
5 eggs
1 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. milk
4 c. rhubarb
cinnamon
Directions:
Blend all bottom part ingredients together like a pie crust. Spread in bottom of a 9 x 13" pan.
Add 4 cups of rhubarb
Whip up the eggs, milk, sugar and cinnamon( to taste) and pour over the rhubarb.
Sprinkle oatmeal on top to cover and a little sugar and cinnamon.
Bake at 350 for 45 min.


Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp:
8 oz. strawberries
1 lb. rhubarb, diced
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. orange juice
1 c. flour
1 c. rolled oats
1/2 c. light brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c ground almonds ( optional)
10 Tbsp. cold butter
1 egg lightly beaten
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
Preheat to 350.
Combine berries, rhubarb and white sugar in a baking dish. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and Orange juice. Pour over fruit and stir gently to coat. Set baking dish aside and make topping.
Topping:
In a large bowl mix flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and almonds. Cut in chilled butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in eggs, spoon mixture evenly over fruit and press down. Bake until browned about 50-60 min. Serve warm.


Strawberry Rhubarb Jam is my favorite. If you have frozen berries that you need to use up, jam and jelly make a really nice option. The benefit of making your jam now is that you are not stuck in the middle of canning everything else in the summer. I will be making some black raspberry jelly soon, to free up some of my freezer space.


Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
2 c. crushed and hulled strawberries
2 c. chopped rhubarb
4 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 package regular powdered fruit pectin
5 1/2 c. sugar.
Prepare canner, jars and lids.
In a large deep stainless steel saucepan, combine berries, rhubarb, and lemon juice. Whisk in pectin until dissolved. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Add sugar all at once and return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard, stirring constantly, for one minute. Remove from heat and skim off foam.
Ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4 " head space. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Screw band down.
Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 10 min. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 min. then remove jars, cool and store.

Enjoy! :)

Hope on over to Prairie Flower Farm to see her recipe and find more rhubarb recipes.

http://prairieflowerfarm.blogspot.com/2010/03/strawberryrhubarb-farm-pie-recipe.html


Blessings to you!

1 comment:

  1. How fun is this!!!! I love these recipes. I can't wait to try them. Nummmmm! As we say in our home! Hope you had a wonderful day with the Lord and your precious family!

    Blessings, Linda
    Prairie flower

    ReplyDelete