Hebrews 4:16

Let us then come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Fruit Dip, Scones and using what you have

Good Morning!

It is a humid and muggy day here. I love it though. I love this season of summer. It reminds me of how the seasons of our lives reflect different stages of our walk with the Lord. Summer is a time of resting, enjoying the beauty of the Lord, delving into His presence and relishing the varied scents of of His majesty in a new way every day.

I am trying to train myself to set a schedule this summer. Then I can be more effective at training my children. It seems, though, that as the Lord teaches me and I am a more diligent student it is at that place where my children learn. They learn alongside of me more often than with me as the dutiful and well-learned master.

I have purposed to bless my husband and my children by trying harder to be more structured, have more of a schedule and not "fly by the seat of my pants" quite so much. Though, that is my personality and I seem to thrive on some spontaneity. Key word... SOME. :)

So each day is a day to work with what I have at hand. I want to stretch the resources and be a good steward. Be a diligent and faithful steward of my time, our finances, our supplies, etc. My goal is to learn to be joyful in the sometimes seemingly boring and dutiful task of keeping a home with a happy heart. ( Note: it is important to keep a home in diligence but I am being completely real that at times I find myself less content and I need to be reminded of the supreme privilege of being a mother and a wife and keeping a home for His Glory.) :)

"A wise woman looks well int the ways of her household, and eats not the bread of idleness. Her children rise up, and call her blessed: her husband also, and he praises her." Proverbs 31:27-28

I love Proverbs 31! I long to be a woman of virtue and character that shines with the attributes of this Godly woman. Verse 26 reminds us that when she opens her mouth , it is done in wisdom and kindness is on her tongue. God's Word is so vital in maintaining a heart of grace seasoned with love. There is no limit to his grace, there is no tank which can hold the depth of His love. That His grace and love would be the starting point of my day would be my diligent decision.

So I am learning to be a maintainer of my home, but to also be a life giver. Peter told the lame man that he would give him what he had, though it was not of a visible help in the temporary sense.... it was of deep eternal value.(Acts 3:6) He gave him the life that came through a revelation of Jesus. What do I truly have? I have time.. I have words... I have truth in my heart that needs to be taught to my children. I have a hope of a life that is found in eternal beauty and a blessing of fellowship with like-minded women who lift me up and remind me of God's call in my life.

Sometimes when I take my focus off of His purpose I find myself in the valley of doubt and despair. One that takes me the opposite direction of His plan for me. When I openly embrace Him, then it means I must also embrace His plan. After years of walking with the Lord I am ever amazed at the depth of His love and patience. Yet, joyful in his faithfulness.

Do I despair over home maintenance and child-rearing?? Well, honestly yes, because I just have NO clue what I am doing most of the time. Yet in grace we are saved.. saved from our sin and our selfishness to a higher and more relevant status. In grace, I can come with what I have and lay it at the cross. Seeking His wisdom which is above all earthly wisdom and knowing that even in the mundane He is with me. He is teaching me, He is guiding me. He is healing hearts and training minds for Kingdom living. Though I don't enjoy the maintaining, there are so many other things I would enjoy, however, I appreciate the work, the result and the promise.

My sweet children deserve a life filled with good things, yet they live in a fallen world and at times I have to truly be firm and responsible, to be a mirror of God's Word. Training is not always enjoyable... it is usually hard, tiring and painful. Aha! the end result is worth it. I have to keep reminding myself the end result is a life full of Kingdom Glory. :)

So...my title is Fruit Dip, Scones and using what you have. What I typed flowed.. God always works that way with me, but wasn't my initial intention. I was going to write on using what you have in your pantry. :) ha!ha!

My fruit dip is so yummy that I had to share. I usually make it with Cream of Coconut but yesterday while having breakfast with a friend I made it with yogurt. Yumm!

Fruit Dip

Cream of Coconut
1 pkg of cream cheese, softened
1 container of cool whip
Whip together and chill before serving.
Alternate : Use your choice of yogurt in place of the cream of coconut. Yumm!

I have a very firm belief in using what I have to make something. If I find a recipe I like but don't have all the ingredients I improvise. There are times it doesn't turn out but more often than not.. it works.

I shared a scone recipe recently from Prairie Flower Farm ( http://www.prairieflowerfarm.blogspot.com/) called Coffeehouse Scones. It was a huge hit here. However, when I went to make it today, I didn't have sugar. So.. I improvised a little.


Here is the recipe I made today. It was yummy!

Honey Scones
2 c. flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c . butter
I put it all in my Kitchen Aid mixer with the whisk attachment. Note: I cut the butter in to small slices then added to the flour. I turned the mixer on till the mixture was crumbly.
In a measuring cup I added 3/4 c. buttermilk 1-2 tsp. vanilla ( I didn't measure I just poured it in) and 1/4 c. honey.
I took the bowl off the mixer, poured the liquid ingredients in and stirred till the ingredients were moistened.
It was a very wet dough that I couldn't knead as original directions had required. I decided to try it this way and instead of kneading, I poured into a pie plate and baked at 375 for about 30 min.
When done I whipped butter and honey together and put immediately the hot scones. Oh, my goodness! It was melting in my mouth. The kids were devouring it in no time.
I served with the fruit dip above, and sliced fruit. ( For a yummy addition to sliced fruit I drizzle a little honey and lemon juice over the fruit in a bowl and toss. The fruit stays fresh and doesn't brown , not to mention the glaze tastes wonderful.)

So, don't be afraid to use what you have. You never know what you can create in terms of the atmosphere in your home, destiny in your families lives and delicious treats in your kitchen!

Blessings to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment