Hebrews 4:16

Let us then come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Frugal Dinnners for the Proverbs 31 Woman

So, I may find the title changes each time I post my recipes and devotion. That's ok.. I have decided that my blog is a lot like the artist's palette. I can create with words as I go, letting the One who has taught us to communicate with His word lead me.

Ready for Meal Idea #2?

Let's start with our model found in Proverbs.

Proverbs 31:11-12

The heart of her husband trusts in her confidently and relies on and believes in her securely, so that he has no lack of honest gain or need of dishonest spoil. She comforts, encourages, and does him only good as long as there is life within her.


Oh, such a profound truth to consider and meditate upon. His Word illuminates my darkness and shines gloriously upon my path.

Am I a wife who does only good to my husband, being an encourager and a comforter?
Can he trust me?
Does he believe in me?
Do I have his confidance?

These are questions I want to place on my refrigerator to remind me of my mission in this life. My mission as his wife. Do I bless him?

I can look at those questions and say without a doubt that my husband believes in me. He is truly one of my strongest supporters. He believes in me on a level I have yet to believe in myself. He has the gift of seeing past my fears and looking at the woman he married. Funny how I am not even close to being that woman so many years ago, yet he saw me then too. ( Praise God for that!)

Do I have his confidance and trust? Hmmm, I can hear him just "looking" at me as I ask that question. I can see the look in his eyes that says, " you silly thing". Yet, I should ask myself this often. You know in your heart if you have been trustworthy. You know if you have been a blessing that day.

I know when I have overstepped my bounds with him. I know how far I can go before I exhaust his patience. And yet, he greets me with a smile. He sees me as his bride and actually enjoys my presence.

As a young wife I used to fret about that.

See, he is a man of few words, but when he speaks most people listen. He doesn't need to talk to communicate his love to me. For him it is just being together.

How like God's heart is that. He doesn't need me to speak to him to know what I need. In fact, He knows our needs before they even take flight off our lips. ( Matthew 6:8)

I have been reminded over and over that my standing, my place of rest, my reward and my victory are only in Christ. It is firmly secure in Him, in all that he represents.

Looking at the 6th Chapter of Matthew we find Jesus speaking to the multitude. He is specifically teaching us to pray, to have our hearts fixed on the treasure of heaven and to keep free of worry and fear.

Matthew 6:33 - " Seek first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness."

This command comes with a promise... that when we seek Him first...all the fears of having enough food to eat, enough clothing to wear, or respect from others would be taken care of.

So, I challenge you to be intentional about seeking Him first where your husband is concerned. When we do this, we will gain their full confidance and unyielding support, honest trust and belief. We will be the comfort and encouragement that is formed by the discipline of a life which is found on our knees before our King.



So, when we got married, 18 years ago now. :) My husband taught me 2 things about his heart. Two things I could doto show him that I love and appreciate him... that I respect him.
1. Feed Him
2. Clothe Him

Does that mean sew for him? No... :) thankfully, I can trust my sweet mother-in-law to be the seamstress in the family. I like to quilt and sewing is an art I have yet to master.

It means supper on the table when he is home and the family sitting together and always having ( or trying to have) his clothes washed and put away.

That has been such a blessing to me as I can do that! He gives me grace to learn the rest.

So, here are my tips for today.

Laundry:
I am by no means a list person, but I have found that if I keep up with the Laundry by doing atleast 1 load a day I can keep up with it. I actually like laundry. :) Yes, stop laughing. I love sorting and hanging it out to dry. I love the look of the clothesline full and flapping in the wind. I love the smell of sunshine in our clothes and the crisp feel of the wind-whipped coverings we wrap ourselves in.

If you can create a weekly schedule, print it out, and hang it up where you can see it. ( a habit becomes a habit afte 21 days) Each day look at your schedule and wash that "color", or however you sort your washing.

My other very practical suggestion is to hang your clothes out to dry. If you don't have a clothes line... get one! I also have an antique drying rack hanging on my laundry room wall. It folds up and down so that I have space and it is not sitting on the floor. I love it!

Frugal Meal Ideas #2.


Grocery List

1-2 large chickens ( depending on how much your family eats and/or you want to use afterwards)
Carrots
Onions
Potatoes
Celery
Grapes
Mayonnaisse
Apples
Flour
Eggs
Noodles
Tortillas
Rice
Salsa
Cheese
Spicies: Parsley, garlic, salt/pepper,Italian Seasoning, Taco Seasoning, chicken bullion

*Just a note... these are just suggestions of meals you can make from your leftovers from first meal. It is unlikely you will make all of the following suggestions but I am giving ideas of what I do.

1st meal:

Baked Chicken and Veggies

This is so easy! Put your chicken in a big roaster ( or your crock pot). Throw in the potatoes, celery, carrots and onions, and bullion ( 1-3 cubes with 1-3 cups of water respectively)

Cook until done! Yumm! This is one of my FAVORITE meals. My family loves it.

You can get so much extra meat off of the whole chicken that even your family ravishes the bird you can still through the pieces into another meal.

If you make more than one chicken, then you have twice the meat at the same time. You can shread or cube the meat and put it in the freezer till you are ready to use it.

Don't forget to strain the broth and use it for the following recipes. Most of the time this broth is strong and you can dilute it in the recipes with water.


These are meals I have made with my left over chicken. I will put them in 2 categories that you can use up the ingredients more than once. It's all about using what you have and saving your grocery bill!

Chicken and dumplings

Chicken Gravy and Mashed Potato Sandwiches ( a twist on this is to substitute waffles for the bread! It is amazing)
Chicken and rice casserole

Chicken Enchiladas
Chicken Salad
Chicken Tortilla Soup.


Chicken and Dumplings

Using the stock from your chicken and the left over carrots and potatoes, bring the liquid to a boil. Add more broth if necessary and more veggies to suit you.

Make up your dumplings.
( you can use bisquick OR... make them from scratch)

1 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg, whisked lightly
1 c. milk


* you can add herbs like parsely,cilantro, chives or onions to the batter. Whatever you like is good.

Mix till all is moistened.

Drop by spoonfuls into the boiling liquid. Bring the heat down and simmer for 10-15 min.

Serve over rice.


Chicken and Rice Casserole

Take your dumpling base, add your rice, put it in a casserole and bake. ( I'd probably take the dumplings out)

Chicken and Mashed Potato Sandwiches

Or take the left over chicken. Make some gravy with the stock. Make a pan of mashed potatoes. Serve over slices of bread or make up a batch of waffles and try that. Yumm!


Chicken Enchiladas

Make a pan of rice. I prefer Jasmine rice to most other brands.
I like to add a can of black beans and a cup of water with 1-2 chicken bullion cubes.
1 -2 tsp of cilantro
1/2 tsp. of red pepper
salt and pepper

Cook till rice and beans are done.

In a large skillet add and heat through:

Shredded chicken( you only need about 1-2 cups)
1/2 diced onion
1 c. salsa
1 1/2 c. cheddar cheese
Taco Seasoning,if desired
* Cream of Chicken Soup(see homemade creamed soup below)


Cream of Chicken Soup Substitute
4 tbsp. butter melted in pan
add 1/4 c. flour.
Cook till the flour turns a caramel color
Add 2 c. milk ( or so) , slowly whisking as you add it in. Salt and pepper to taste. You can throw in a chicken bullion cube and/or chicken soup base seasoning to make it taste like cream of chicken soup.

To make your enchiladas:
Put 1/4 c. tomato sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 in. pan.

Fill the tortillas with the chicken mixture. Roll up and place seam side down in the pan.
Pour the rest of the tomato sauce over the top.
Sprinkle with the shredded cheese.

Bake at 350 for 30 min. until the cheese melts.


Serve with the black beans and rice, salad, sour cream and homemade salsa.



Chicken and Tortilla Soup.

1-2 c. shredded chicken
2 qts. chicken broth
1/2 to 1 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped green peppers
2 cans of tomatoes ( or 2 c. of diced fresh)

*Black beans and Rice mix from the evening you had enchiladas.

Seasonings: Garlic, red chili peppers, salt and pepper.

Bring the broth to a boil, add the veggies and chicken, black beans and rice and seasonings. Heat through.

When you are ready to serve. Spray tortilla shells with Pam and cut into strips. Bake in a 350 degree oven till crispy. Serve soup with tortila strips and sour cream, salsa or hot sauce if you like more kick to your soup.



Chicken Salad

1-2 cups shredded chicken
1 c. grapes, sliced
1 c. apples, diced
1 c. onion, chopped and diced finely
1 tsp. garlic
1 c. mayonnaisse
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. vinegar
1/2 tsp. season salt
Pepper to taste
1/2 c. diced celery

Optional... walnuts or almonds.

Mix the mayonnaisse, sugar, vinegar and spices thoroughly. Add the rest of the ingredients. Serve on crescent rolls or french bread.

This is great paired with some fruit salad and dip.
Fruit Dip:
1 can Cream de Coco ( I get it in the alcohol aisle...no alcohol, just the cream of coconut)
1 package of cream cheese
1 container of cool whip

Whisk the cream cheese and cream of coconut together till smooth; add cool whip. Chill if possible, but we can wait to eat it. :)

You can also throw your fruit in a bowl. Drizzle honey and lemon or lime juice to coat and devour. It is heavenly.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment