Hebrews 4:16

Let us then come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Broccoli/Cauliflower Soup and Cooking with Liberty

I love soup! :) Yum!  I wish my family enjoyed soup as much as I do, it is a joy to serve them meals they enjoy. I love to hear them exclaim satisfaction in the bounty laid before them as we break bread.

Recently, I overheard my husband commenting on a dish I made for a family meal. I believe he was trying to compliment me, you know, but it could have been interpreted differently.  He said," She can make anything, but never the same thing twice." :)

I have mentioned a few times that I do not measure 'much' when I cook. Usually I am cooking from what I have rather than shopping to cook.  I like to stock my storehouses full of wholesome ingredients which I can use to make multiple meals. Sometimes I find uses for things I wouldn't normally use. Keep in mind that this is because it is what I usually have on hand, not something I buy specifically for a recipe.

A few things For Example:
Cream Cheese as a creamed soup base versus cream, milk or sour cream.
Yogurt for sour cream
Honey as a  sweetener
Bullion  and water in place of broth
Milk + lemon juice for buttermilk

 I rarely ever buy mixes to make a sauce and/or gravy.
I use Corn Starch or make a basic white sauce.

I keep as many spices on hand as possible, because I love the flavor they add to the dishes I cook like:
Cilantro
Oregano
Italian Seasoning
Cracked Pepper
Sea Salt
Garlic Powder
Parsley
Basil
Cumin
Red Pepper


I use real butter and not margarine; we try to eat as close to the way God made it as possible.

Lots of fresh veggies and fruit. We have an amazing store nearby that provides an amazing assortment of veggies for a great price. I find when I buy things like: squash, brussel sprouts, broccoli, eggplant, sweet potatoes, spaghetti squash, I  can create with more liberty.

When I make things like spaghetti squash I don't have to make a starch ( potato, rice or noodle) because it is a great replacement.We have been eating a lot of rice and some pasta to try and change up the monotony of the same meal options over and over. We had gotten out of casseroles, but they are making a valiant comeback.


I try to always have a salad and fresh veggies and fruit cut up. Occasionally,I will make a dip to go with them.  If I don't have fresh fruit or veggies, I serve frozen or applesauce or canned fruits intermittently.

What I find is that the variety provides a good mix of liberty with my meals without having to spend tons of time looking through recipes and/or cookbooks. Though, that is a lot of fun.


Ok..on to my soup!

This was another recipe I made up as I went along.  Each week we attend our Classical Conversations program on Monday and we have a yummy potluck lunch together.  I tend to bring soup, mostly because it is easy but also because I LOVE soup and my family doesn't have the affinity to which I have become endeared to this delicacy. :)

Often I will make the soup on Sunday for lunch, (I can get away with this because it is lunch and not supper... my husband says soup is not a meal). Then I am prepared for Monday morning and into the crock pot it goes ready for the afternoon repast.

This last week I had an abundance of praise shared for my concoction of what my kids call " Refrigerator Soup".   Here is the recipe ( sort of... I just threw it all together so I am guessing). I didn't have enough of 1 vegetable to make a single soup so I threw together all I had in my refrigerator and thus the name...


Refrigerator- Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup
4 quarts of water
4 bullion cubes
1/2 to 1 package of cream cheese
1 package of frozen broccoli pieces
Any fresh broccoli or cauliflower you have.
Broccoli Slaw
1 onion diced and sauteed
Seasoning salt
Italian seasoning
cilantro
1/2 stick of butter
 1/8-1/4 c. flour
salt and pepper
milk and cream
2-4 c. cheese. ( to your taste)


Dice all your veggies and set aside. ( except the frozen broccoli)

Put the water and bullion in a pan and bring to slow boil.

In another pan, saute the onion in the butter. When translucent, add the flour and salt and pepper. When butter is golden add about 1 c  of milk. Set the cream cheese in the hot rue to soften and melt. Whisk before you add to your soup.

Meanwhile put the veggies in the broth to cook, except the frozen broccoli. When the veggies have softened, add the rue you made with the onions, flour, butter, milk and cream cheese.

Whisk into the soup. Add the cheese and stir well till melted.
Add more milk or cream to the soup to make a thinner broth. You can also add more broth. Whichever suits your taste.
Add spices to your taste.



I also made a delicious cake, courtesy of Miss Laura suggestion.

Laura's Lemon Delight Cake

1 box white cake
Lemon pudding prepared as directed
1-2 c. whipping cream
1/2 c. powdered sugar

Mix cake as directed and bake in 2 round pans. Cool.
Invert on to a serving dish. Spread the lemon pudding in between the layers.

In a mixing bowl, whisk the whipping cream and powdered sugar till stiff.

Frost the cake.

This is so delicious. Yumm!

Enjoy!

Blessings on your Day!


Romans 12:12 - Be joyful in hope,patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.


No comments:

Post a Comment