Hebrews 4:16

Let us then come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day Memories

I didn't get on to post a Happy Father's Day wish so I will share a day late! :)



My kids were so excited that Father's Day was coming you would think that it was my husband's birthday. I think the kids made him well over 10 cards and they were still making them on Sunday. I tried not to be jealous of the exuberance displayed over Dad's special day, I don't remember that much of a fuss made on Mother's Day, but I was so blessed by the love they showed that it was ok. And, I wanted to bless him too. He works so hard to provide for our family. I am so thankful to be able to stay home and raise our children, though some days I don't show it. I am thankful that his heart is sure in the course that raising our children in a home where they can and should learn about God is important to my husband.

Later in the day we invited our fathers over for dinner. It was nice to be with my dad and my father-in-law in a very simple and enjoyable meal. And it is really nice to just bless these two men who are an imporant part of our lives.

We can't speak about Father's Day and not mention how amazing and blessed we are to have a Father in heaven who is so good to us. He is Love. (1 John 4:16) He lavishes His love upon us in many ways each day. His greatest display of love was in His Son. John 3:16 says, " For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." He has so much for us, hidden in the very depth of His Holy Word and all we have to do is receive His gifts.

My awesome pastor delivered a message this weekend that spoke about Spiritual Fathers. The importance of having those in our lives, ( and Spiritual Mothers, too), and how God uses these amazing servants to show us His heart. He reminded us of the need to see God for who He is ~not who we think he is. Either because we maybe didn't have the greatest relationship with our own earthly father or for whatever reason, often our view of just who God is can be altered.

My Dad is a man, not perfect... but he is my dad and I am thankful for him. We are called to honor our Father and Mother, it doesn't stop when we leave home. My husband, also a man, while not perfect is a good Dad and I want my children to understand the need in their life to honor him. It is the only commandment with a promise. Exodus 20:12 says, " Honor your father and your mother: that your days may be long on the land which the LORD your God gives you." Another translation says.. so that all may go well with you. I often ask my children... " Do you want all to be well with you?... then honoring your parents is the key. " ;)

I had a wonderful pastor in my early Christian walk who took the time to show me who God is as my Father. He pointed to those times where love and discipline went hand-in-hand. While he is no longer my pastor, God appointed that time in my life as an opportunity to know His love as a child of the Most High God. So now when I come to him my whole heart longs to just climb into his lap and hold on tight. He gave us his Son for that privilege. What a blessing that we are chosen by Him to inherit all that was promised through His Son and we are called His own.


So this Father's Day remember to go to the One who has fashioned your heart and knew your end from your beginning. Make Father's Day an every day occurence in your heart where you can honor Him with true reverence and humility but don't hesitate to run with passion to the throne of grace and seek His marvelous face!

Blessings in Christ!

Dawn

Here is the yummy breakfast I served my family on Sunday.

Buttermilk Waffles
(from the Joy of Cooking Cookbook)

Use 4 Tbsp. butter for a reduced-fat waffle, 8 Tbsp. for a classic light and fluffy waffle, or ½ lb. ( 2 sticks) for the crunchiest, most delicious waffle.
Omit sugar sugar if serving with sweet and rich food.

Preheat waffle iron. Whist together in a large bowl:
1 ¾ c. flour
¼ tsp baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. sugar
½ tsp. salt

Thoroughly blend in another bowl:
3 eggs
¼ - 1 c. butter, melted. ( see description above to determine measurement of your choice)
1 ½ c. buttermilk.
*( note: I actually used about 2 c. buttermilk because we like a thinner batter.)

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Combine with a few swift strokes of the whisk.





Breakfast Pizza Skillet
( Adapted From Taste of Home’s 2000 Quick Cooking Annual Recipe Book)

1 lb. sausage
2- 3 potatoes cut and diced
¼ c. chopped onion
¼ c. green pepper
1-2 Tbsp. red pepper
4 eggs
1 med. tomato diced (optional)
½ - 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

Cook sausage in large skillet until done. Add veggies, then season with salt and pepper. Cook until the potatoes are browned. Beat eggs and pour over the meat and veggies. Sprinkle with the cheese. Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 10-15 min, or until the eggs are set. Serve with sour cream, salsa, or the diced tomato.

No comments:

Post a Comment