Hebrews 4:16

Let us then come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Monday, July 27, 2009

Hobo Dinner and Zucchinni Bars

Ok.. are you intrigued by the title? :) I am not sure what the name of this dinner is but I think I vaguely remember hearing a friend call this little recipe Hobo Packets, or something close. :) ha!



So, recently my husband taught me how to operate "his" grill. :) Funny thing is when he shows me how to do something I end up being the one who gets the new job. It worked that way with our lawnmower.



Mondays are always busy in the afternoons due to commitments in the evening that we have, so I have tried to make easy and quick suppers on Monday. Tonight I decided to put together this hambuger and vegetable recipe I found on Quick and Easy Dinners. http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes.aspx/burger-and-veggie-packs



As in true fashion for me.. I had to change it up a bit. Now.. not because I disliked the actual recipe but because I didn't have all the ingredients. :)



Here is my version.



Hobo Dinner

1 package of hamburger (* tailor to how much you think your family will eat)

1 Tb. barbeque sauce( I used Cookies)

1/2 -1 tsp garlic

1/4 tsp onion powder

Salt and pepper



4 red potatoes

2 zucchinni

1 onion.



Mix the hamburger with the seasonings and sauce. Spread in the bottom of a 9x13 foil pan. ( I didn't have enough aluminum foil to make packets but I did have a foil pan in my cabinet) Cut the potatoes into wedges like steak fries and slice zucchinni and onion, layer on top of meat. Season with salt and pepper or whatever you are partial to. Cover with foil.



Heat your grill and then place the pan on the rack. Close the lid and cook till done.

I did have a moment of fear when I saw an abundance of smoke but, it was all under control. I am still learning the whole "grilling process". :)



When the meat is done and veggies are tender, it is ready.



We had it with some fresh sweet corn. It was amazing. The fire from the grill gave everything the smokey taste. I was very impressed and it was so easy.





While I was grilling I had my Zucchinni Bars in the oven baking. This recipe is my Grandma W's famous recipe.Since I have zucchinni ready and flourishing in the garden, my youngest and I decided to shred 5 large specimens today. I will either make bread or more bars or freeze the rest.



Side note: My Kitchen Aid mixer shreds things in a snap. By far this is my favorite appliance in my kitchen. Next to my stove I couldn't imagine cooking with out it.



Here is the recipe for the bars.



Zucchinni Bars



2 c. sugar 2 tsp. baking powder

4 eggs 1 tsp baking soda

2/3 c. oil 1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp vanilla 2 c. zucchinni

2 c. flour



Cream together sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Add to creamed ingredients and mix well.

Optional: Stir in 1 c. raisins or nuts. (I rarely do this)

Pour into a greased and floured jellyroll pan. Bake at 325 for 20-25 min.

* note: I would increas the temperature to 350. Check at the end of 25 min to see if the bars are done and cook until the cake is set.



Top with Cream Cheese frosting:

3 oz. cream cheese, softened 1 tsp vanilla

3/4 stick butter, softened 3 c. powdered sugar



Cream together the butter and cream cheese. Stir in powdered sugar. Add some milk to make it the right consistency. Stir in vanilla. Spread over cooled bars.



These bars are often requested at my house and rarely stick around long. I have gotten to the point where mine are almost as good as my grandmothers! :)

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment