Hebrews 4:16

Let us then come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Thursday, July 2, 2009

A new bookshelf!

I am blessed! I am married to one of the most amazingly talented men I know. :) Seriously, if I give him a plan or even a description he can make me just about anything I want or need. This weekend my husband blessed me with a beautiful new bookshelf. He used wood that was taken from His grandfather's barn and was able to use the gifts and abilities straight from God to bless me.

I love the quote "When I get a little money, I buy books. And if there is any left over, I buy food.”
Desiderius Erasmus

Some people say.. where do you find the time to read? I try to reward myself with time to read. I often read in the evening instead of watching TV. It is relaxing and so fun to get into a story and learn something new. Whether it is from scripture,philosphy, fiction, history or learning something new I enjoy the chance to open a good book.

So, what do I mean by reward? For me it is very easy to just sit down and read and do nothing else. That is not a very productive day and will leave a lot of work for me to do later. So, I set a goal. If I can get my work done during the day, whatever it is for that day, I then find it is easier to rest and relax with a good book in the evening. It also sets a good example for my children to see me reading often. My children are readers, especially the oldest and youngest. Our middle child is much more of a hands on person so would rather take an item apart to learn about it rather than read a manual. ( speaking of manuals.. that is one thing I don't read.) :)

We love to read biographies as well. One of our favorites is George Mueller: The Guardian of Bristols Orphans by YWAM Publishing. http://www.ywampublishing.com/p-213-christian-heroes-then-nowbrgeorge-mller-the-guardian-of-bristols-orphans.aspx

So, back to the book shelf. As the completion of the shelf was approaching, I spent some time going around the house deciding where I would put my new treasure. I finally decided to put it in our school room ( good choice, I think) and fill it with the books and curriculumthat were rapidly multiplying on our current shelf, which in essence was groaning with the weight of its burden.

The book shelf which stands 4' by 6' is now very aptly filled. After finishing my task of relocating and mildly organizing my books my husband quietly pointed out that he may need to start on a new one soon or I could get rid of a few books. He is giving me grace to chose to first option. :)

Once again, I consider myself blessed. So take some time and reward yourself with a good book!
Happy reading!

Here are a few more fun quotes I like about books.


Some books leave us free and some books make us free.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house
Henry Ward Beecher

I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see
John Burrough


Books are masters who instruct us without rods or ferules, without words or anger, without bread or money. If you approach them, they are not asleep; if you seek them, they do not hide; if you blunder, they do not scold; if you are ignorant, they do not laugh at you.
Elizabeth Barrett Browning

No comments:

Post a Comment