Hebrews 4:16

Let us then come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Living Faith

One of my favorite books of the Bible, as if I can pick one, but... one of my very favorites is the book of Hebrews. The Hall of Fame of those famous men of faith we read of in the Bible. Every chapter in this awesome book has some profound nugget that just makes me really consider the message. All scripture is divine and has something profound within the margins which it is written, yet I am always drawn to Hebrews.

I want to be a woman of faith! I want to be a believer who has her trust centered securely in Christ and the Word. I would like to say I have great faith. There are times I have awesome faith! Times when I will not allow the things that I see deter me from the things I know are true. 2 Corinthians 4:18 tells us not to fix our eye on things of this world which are temporal, but to set my sights on the things of God which are eternal in value. One thing I am confidant of, even when I am faithless.... He is always faithful.

Today as I sat in church our Pastor lead us through a sermon on Faith. He reminded us that we are living in a natural world but are seated with Christ in heavenly places. He encouraged us to see how our ability to operate in faith directly effects the circumstances of our lives. Shoudn't it though? Heberews 4:12 says " The Word of God is quick and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. "

What is Faith? Faith is defined in Hebrews 11:1, " Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Faith is trusting that God is bigger than my circumstances. ( 1 John 4:4)
Faith is knowing that He has a plan and a purpose for my life . ( Jeremiah 29:11, Romans 8:28, Hebrews 11:40)
Faith is hearing the sweet voice of our Lord and obeying like Abraham, Samuel, Hannah, Joseph, Moses, David, etc.
Faith is taking the next step knowing He will be with me in the mountains and the valleys.( Isaiah 41:10, Psalm 23)

Herews 11:6 says, " Without faith it is impossible to please him; for he that comes to comes to God must beleive that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."
Not only do we need faith to live, but we need it to please God. When we operate in faith we receive a reward.


Now go to Hebrews 12:1-2 " Therefore then, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight and the sin which does so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."

How do we get faith? Romans 10:17.. "Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God."

Have you been discouraged by your circumstances? Proverbs 13:12 tells us "Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but when the desire is fulfilled, it is a tree of life." When I have allowed discouragement to set in I have found that I have not put my hope in Him. I have put my hope in a desired outcome. I will never be disappointed in Him. God in his gentle way brought me to a place where I saw that I was looking at outward circumstances, other people and things to dictate whether or not I was going to be full or discouraged. Looking to anyone other than God to fill my needs will leave me empty and unfilled.

I want to challenge you today with this thought. Faith gives wings to hope that cannot be deferred. Trust that He alone knows your needs, sees your heart, longs to fill you up and be encouraged today. Step out in faith, reach forward and receive your blessings for today.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment