Hebrews 4:16

Let us then come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Friday, February 19, 2010

The Life in His Word

I read a devotional this morning and the title of this devotional made me stop and do a double-take, as it was surely meant to do. However, as you read on the author makes a very real and honest comment about reading the Word of God.

What amazes me, in my own walk, is when I come to the table to read His Word out of "habit" rather than as one seeking for hidden treasure, answers to my questions, hope for the trials, endurance for the race... shall I say more?

I was convicted that at times I can come to the process of reading His word as something I have to do but I was also encouraged that I don't want that to be the "habit". I want to have the habit of pursuing Christ, His Word and His will for my life because God has so changed the depth of my own heart that living a day w/o it would be a day w/o the life-sustaining breath I need to exist.

One of my very favorite scriptures is Hebrews 4:12. I am reminded of it every time I open my Bible. It says, "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

In the Hebraic culture, they so value the written word of God as a living breathing entity that when the ink starts to fade on the scrolls they bury it, as we would bury a family member, and consider it a sacred event. They stand when they read it ! They reverence the Word of God as an extension of the creator, the Holy One who has brought life through the creative power of words.
Look at John chapter 1:1-5, 14: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.
There came a man who was sent from God; his name was John. He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all men might believe. He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light. The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world. The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.


Then I acutally look at my own Bible.... oh, my. Torn pages, broken spine, ..... I was burdened that I did not honor this treasure I was given.

How many Bibles does the average Christian .. let me restate... American Christian family own? I was convicted there, as well. We have one for each member and I have 3 myself, each in a different version. Yet, there are many people all over the world with scraps of 1 chapter, with verses written on paper to hold and bring comfort. What they would give to have a Bible of their own? Some even being persecuted for owning a Bible.

Where does that leave me? Do I value His Word? Do I give it a place of honor? Do I love the Word as the life-blood to my soul?

I'd like to say, "Yes". I do love it. I love the way the Psalms refresh me in my brokenness. I love the way the Proverbs infuse my mind with wisdom and truth. I love the way the Prophets share boldly the proclamations of the Lord. I love the way the Gospels tell of His amazing Love, the word of my Savior there to read and treasure. I love the way the Epistles encourage us to live a life that is devoted to God. I love the way the Book of Revelation reminds us that He is coming again.

Yet, there are times when I know that I have come to His Word just because I have to. I always leave refreshed, filled and so grateful. Isn't that just like God? He takes the barrenness and replaces with His fullness. However, this is a great reminder for me to run to the Word, to run to His Wisdom, to run into Him. "The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runs into it, and is safe." Proverbs 18:10

Isaiah 40:8 says, "The grass wither, the flower fades: but the word of our God shall stand for ever."

We have an assurance that when we run to his word, we know it is stable, it is enduring, it is lasting. And we have a promise of His love, His grace and His mercy that we can only find when we seek Him through His Word.

I found this devotional very encouraging today and wanted to share it with you.
http://proverbs31devotions.blogspot.com/2010/02/dont-read-your-bible.html




Blessings to you !
Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment