Hebrews 4:16

Let us then come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Winter Recipes

Here are some wonderful new recipes I have tried this winter.
Enjoy!

Pepper Steak


1 pound sirloin tips, cut in serving-size pieces ( or you can use left over steak)
flour, oil
1/4 cup chopped onion or minced onion
garlic powder or 1 clove of garlic
2-3 c. water
2-3 cubes of beef bullion
1 can (14.5 ounces) stewed tomatoes
2 large green bell pepper, sliced in rings
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
2 tablespoons soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Cooked Rice


I used small frying steak for this. I filled a small bowl with flour and seasoned with salt and pepper then dipped each steak into the flour. Then I put the steak into a frying pan with heated oil in it. I browned the steak. ( I put them on a plate till I had each on browned nicely, but not too well-done) Then I put in 2 c. of water, 2 bullion cubes, garlic,onion, salt and pepper, stirring till bullion is dissolved. Then I added the steak and cooked till the meat was tender. ( about 20 min). Then I added the green peppers and stewed tomatoes. Bring the liquid to a boil, thicken with the corn starch and water.


* I did add more water and bullion but we really liked the gravy. It was so yummy!


Crock Pot Beef Stew
( this is my good friend Amy's recipe!)

2-3 pounds of stew meat ( or you can use left over roast, I used round steak)
1 c. celery
7-9 potatoes
3 c. carrots
1 Tbsp. sugar
1Tbsp. Salt
1 can of tomato soup
1 can of water (* from the soup can)
3 Tbsp. tapioca

Put in the crock pot, sprinkle the tapioca on top and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Note: I put this in the oven at 350 degrees for a couple of hours. It was really good and the leftovers were just as tasty.


Lasagna Soup
( this came from The Urban Homemaker's Websitehttp://www.urbanhomemaker.com/productcart/pc/home.asp)


1 lb sausage
2 c. chopped onions
1 c. diced carrots
2 Tbsp. minced garlic ( I used granulated garlic)
4 c. chicken broth
1 c. stewed tomatoes ( I have used diced tomatoes)
1 can tomato sauce
1 c. bow tie pasta
2 c. spinach, chopped
1 c. mozzarella cheese
Parmesan cheese
Opt. fresh basil OR ... add 1-2 tsp. Italian seasoning


Brown sausage. Add onions, garlic and carrots to the pan and saute 3 min. Add broth, tomatoes and tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Drop in pasta and simmer until cooked, about 10 min. Stir in spinach and cook until wilted. Place 1/4 c. mozz. cheese into serving bowls and pour soup on top. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and basil.

Note: I do not usually add the spinach and I double the tomatoes and sauce and add more chicken broth because I like a thinner broth. When I make this I usually start with a large pot and then each time I serve it again I add more sauce or tomatoes to it, sometimes more pasta.


Chicken Tortilla Soup

1-2 lbs. shredded or diced chicken, cooked
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can enchilada sauce
2 c. water
1 -2 c. chicken broth
1 c. corn
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp cilantro
1 can black beans
1 c. cooked rice
1 bay leaf

Cook till soup is heated through.

Top with Tortilla strips.

Tortilla Strips:
6 corn tortillas cut into strips.
Put into a zip lock back and add 2 T. oil. Shake till coated and then place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for 10-15 min.


I have been making my chili with a home-made chili seasoning I found on Nourishing Heart Home's blog. (http://nourishinghome.blogspot.com/)


Chili

Tomato Juice
Tomato sauce
chili beans
kidney beans
seasoned hamburger
onions, green peppers and tomatoes

Chili seasoning mix

Chili Seasoning
1 Tb. flour
2 TB minced onion
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. dried red pepper, crushed
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cumin


Put it all in a big pot and heat till ready to serve. I usually have grilled cheese sandwiches. However, my mom used to make a big pot of chili and along with the chili a hamburger for each person eating ( more if they were hungry). She would put a bun on a plate, top it with a hamburger and a slice of cheese and then ladle some chili on the top of it. It was delicious!



Ham Balls

1 1/2 lb. ground ham
1 1/2 lb. ground port
1 c. milk
1 c. bread crumbs( I often use oatmeal)
2 eggs
salt and pepper to taste


Make your balls and then bake at 350 for about 20-30 min. Pull out of the oven and top with the sauce and bake another 30 min.

Sauce:
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. pineapple juice
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp. corn starch
mustard
cloves

Put ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil. Pour over the meatballs.


Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes

Cook enough mashed potatoes for your family, or make a large pan so that you can have leftovers. DO NOT add any liquid or butter to the potatoes when you mash them

Melt cheddar cheese ( 1-2 cups), 1 c. of sour cream, 1/2-1 stick of butter.
Add some minced onion to the potatoes, the cheddar/sour cream mixture and salt and pepper.

Put in a casserole dish and bake for 30-45 min.


Crock pot Lasagna

Ok this was one of my favorite attempts at something new this winter.

I used my original Lasagna recipe and put it in my crock pot, added about 1/2 c. water to it to keep it from burning and it was delicious.

No cook Lasagna noodles
1 container of ricotta cheese
2 eggs
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
2-4 c. mozzarella cheese
2 cans of pasta sauce
browned hamburger

Mix together the ricotta cheese, eggs and Parmesan cheese.


Put 1/2 c. sauce in the bottom of the crock pot.
Layer the noodles, cheese mixture, hamburger, sauce and mozzarella cheese till you fill the crock pot. Add 1/2 - 1 c. water. Cook on low till done. ( about 6-8 hours)


Mrs Telfer's Mint Brownies

2 c. flour
1 3/4 c. sugar
2 tsp baking soda

2 large eggs
1/2 c. buttermilk( I used 3/4)

1 c. butter
1/4 c. cocoa
1 c. water ( can also use coffee)

Topping:
3/4 c. butter, softened
2-3 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. mint extract

1/2 c. butter
10 oz semisweet chocolate ( I used 1 c. of chocolate chips)


Preheat oven to 375 and grease an 11 x 17 in jelly roll pan.

Melt butter, whisk in coca and water, set aside to cool.
Put flour, sugar and baking soda in a bowl. Add the chocolate and the the eggs and buttermilk.

Bake for 12-15 min till done.


Topping:
Blend butter, sugar and extract in mixer till well blended. Spread over cooled brownies

Melt butter and chocolate together, let cook till room temp and spread over mint filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment