Hebrews 4:16

Let us then come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Yummy new recipes

I have been trying to bust out of boredom in the kitchen this last month, trying to find new things to try and experiment with. I love to cook, I love to create in my kitchen so this is just fun to me.

So, this week we tried 2 new recipes I loved. Slow Cooker Carnitas and Red and White Lasagna Rolls.

Rave reviews from my hubby and kids were split down the middle though. Hubby loved the Carnitas and thought the Red and White Lasagna rolls needed more sauce. ( note to self.. remember that!)

Here they are!

Red and White Lasagna Rolls

1 box of lasagna noodles
1 lb of sausage or hamburger browned with onion
Marinara or red sauce
Alfredo sauce ( see recipe below)
Mozzarella cheese
1 container of ricotta cheese
2 eggs
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese


Cook noodles according to directions, set aside to cool till you can handle them safely. Mix together ricotta cheese, eggs and Parmesan cheese. Stir the meat into the red sauce and heat through.

Spread cheese mixture on cooked noodle, roll up and place in baking dish. ( I used a 9x13 stoneware pan).

When all your noodles are rolled and in the pan cover with the marinara/meat sauce, then pour the Alfredo sauce over the top and layer with Mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 for 30-45 min. ( I will admit I have a big issue with my timer I forget to use it. I just take things out when they are done.):)

Serve with a nice salad and french bread. ( great recipe for bread in my recipe index).

We love Spinach Strawberry Salad or a nice salad with greens, cranberries, blue cheese, almonds and a yummy vinegar/oil dressing.


Alfredo Sauce

1 stick of butter
1 c. cream or whole milk
1/2 - 1 c. Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
cornstarch

Melt butter, add milk ( or cream if you have that and prefer ) with heat on med. cook till just about to boil. Add the cheese, stir as it melts. Add salt and pepper to taste, I also add garlic. Sometimes I have to make a cornstarch paste ( 1/4 cornstarch + 2 Tbsp. water) to thicken my sauce, sometimes I don't. I don't know why, but if it is too then I will thicken with cornstarch.

You can add more milk if it is too thick and heat.


Slow Cooker Carnitas.

I found this recipe at A Year of Slow Cooking : http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ Her recipe is below and is found also at the website link above. I altered mine a bit. Her book is listed below the recipe.

The Ingredients.serves 6.
2 pounds pork shoulder
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1 large orange)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 1 large lime)
7 cloves garlic (whole intact)
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 cup beef broth
corn tortillas
sour cream, salsa, sliced avocado (optional)

The Directions.
Use a 6 quart slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the salt and cumin. Rub mixture all over the pork, then plop into the slow cooker. Add whole garlic cloves. Squeeze on the citrus, and pour the beef broth evenly over the top.Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until the pork shreds quite easily with a fork. If your meat is still fully intact after 8 hours, remove and cut into chunks, then return to the crock and flip to high for about an hour or two.Shred meat fully and serve on warmed corn tortillas with desired toppings.The Verdict.This is so totally good. I adored the citrusy flavor of the meat, and the slight smokiness from the cumin. If you don't eat pork, try using an inexpensive chuck roast instead of the pork shoulder.

Make It Fast, Cook It Slow
by Stephanie O’Dea


My changes:

I used lemon juice instead of lime juice because that is what I had. I used less garlic and more beef broth, and flour tortillas in place of the corn tortillas.

I cooked the roast all day till it was good and done. I cut it up and shred the meat, then put it back in the crock pot to absorb the juices. I also made Spanish Rice to go with it. We put everything in the tortilla, topped with homemade salsa, sour cream and avocados ( yum). It was so good.

Spanish Rice

1 c. of rice
1 Tbsp. oil
1 1/2 c. water
1 can of tomato paste
1 onion
1 tomato
cumin and garlic( to taste)
salt and pepper.(to taste)

Saute the rice in the oil in a heavy saucepan. Add the onion, saute more. Then add the water, tomato, spices and tomato paste. Cook till rice is tender.


This is not a new recipe but I love it and made it on Sunday. Yum!


Creme Puff Dessert
Crust:
1 c. water
1 stick of butter
1 c. flour

4 eggs.

Bring the first 3 things to a boil in a sauce pan. Cook till the dough pulls away from the edge. Add eggs one at a time. Stir well. Bake for 30 min at 400. Cool completely.

Filling:
2 boxes ( or 1 large box) vanilla pudding, instant
1 package of cream cheese, softened and whipped
3 c. milk

Topping:
1 container of cool whip
Hershey's Syrup

Put into your mixer and beat well. Let it sit a bit to thicken. When the crust is cool fill with the pudding. Then top with cool whip. Let sit in refrigerator till ready to serve. When ready to serve, drizzle syrup over individual pieces. Note: I do this because when I have done it over the whole dessert in the past it has caused the consistency of the cool whip and pudding to break down and liquefy. Not so appetizing. :)

Funny quote from my son while I was making this dessert.
" Mom, are you putting that cool whip on the pudding?"
" Yes, I am " was my reply.
" oh... hmm, that's too bad. Cool whip puts the d in disgusting."

I had no reply to that comment as I was surprised with what he said. I never knew he didn't like Cool Whip. Apparently it is not just a like/dislike issue. He is too funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment