Hebrews 4:16

Let us then come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Coffeehouse Scones Recipe

I made these scones for breakfast last week. It has taken me this long to post them, because I kept forgetting. :)

I got the recipe from Linda at Prairie Flower Farm. http://prairieflowerfarm.blogspot.com/





Coffeehouse Scones

2 cups (260 grams) all purpose flour
1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (113 grams) (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
2/3 - 3/4 cup (160 - 180 ml) buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) and place rack in middle of oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs. Add the buttermilk and vanilla extract to the flour mixture and stir just until the dough comes together. Do not over mix.
Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough gently and form into a round that is about 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick. Use a 2 1/2 inch (6.5 cm) round biscuit cutter to cut the dough into circles. Transfer the scones to the baking sheet and brush the tops of the scones with a little milk.
Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Makes 6-8 scones.

Another wonderful recipe I tried tonight and it was a hit. :)This came from "Summer In the Country " from Gooseberry Patch. www.gooseberrypatch.com
Grandma Hilda's Sweet Biscuits
6 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
1 t. salt
3 T.plus 1 t. baking powder
3 eggs
1 c. milk
Mix together the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl: mix well. In a separate bowl, beet eggs and milk together. Add to flour mixture and blend well. Roll out on a floured surface; cut with 3-in. round cookie cutter. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-120 min., until golden. Makes 4 dozen.
I actually used a plastic cup because my cookie cutter has a smaller opening at the top and it pushed the dough through and made the biscuit smaller. I wanted thick biscuits so I didn't get 4 dozen out of this recipe. My husband said they would be great for biscuits and gravy in the morning.
This is how I have made my sausage gravy the last few times. ( note: I don't measure so it doesn't always turn out exactly the same and I am guessing here, but if you follow it and tweak it to your own liking it should turn out for you)
Sausage Gravy
1 lb. sausage
1 stick of butter
1-2 c. milk (maybe more??)
Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
1/4 c. cornstarch
cold water
Cook the sausage, season with salt and pepper. I use a lot of salt and pepper in my sausage because it is not already seasoned. You may not have to if you buy seasoned sausage.
Once the sausage is done, I add the stick of butter. When it melts I pour the milk into the sauce pan to the height I want the gravy. If I want a thick gravy I use less milk, if I want a thinner gravy I use more. :)
I heat till the milk is hot but not boiling. When I mix the cornstarch and cold water together and the pour slowly in to the milk and sausage mixture, whisking as I go. I add more salt and pepper if necessary and the red pepper flakes.
Serve over warm biscuits.
We complete the breakfast with our fresh eggs from my hens and try to have some fresh fruit as well. Whatever is in season!
Blessings to you!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy recipes, Dawn! I'm gonna have to try your gravy recipe some time!
    I have never used cornstarch in my sausage gravy - or butter. I just mix flour into the sausage after it's cooked until I have a fairly thick roux. Sometimes I add a little veg oil if the sausage is paarticularly lean (which ours often is). I then add milk slowly until it's up to where I want it for the amount of gravy. Pretty basic. It does seem like most gravy recipes are guess work but that's the fun of cooking!
    I enjoy your blog my friend, keep writing!

    ReplyDelete