Hebrews 4:16

Let us then come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Relished Comfort

What do you think of when you hear "comfort food"?  I'll be honest, I don't think of the same thing as my husband does.

My comfort food is a bowl of yummy soup with a slice of hot bread lathered with butter and some honey or homemade jelly. Can't forget the raspberry lemonade.
Or a big cup of steaming coffee with foaming whipped cream  a little hint of sugar and the solitude of enjoying my time in quiet.....

My husband's comfort food is what most people think about: Macaroni and Cheese, Casseroles full of yummy meat and potatoes, succulent desserts, and meals that make you think of 'home'.

I wanted to share some of my "new" recipes that have become a blessing in my house. But before I do, I'd like to give you a bit of encouragement from the true "food" which gives eternal sustenance.

Isaiah55:1-3,6,12(amplified version)

Wait and listen, everyone who is thirsty! Come to the waters; and he who has  no money, come, buy milk without money and without price. [simply for the self-surrender that accepts the blessing]

Why do you spend money for that which is not bread, and your yearnings for  what does not satisfy? Hearken diligently to Me and eat what is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness[the profuseness of  spiritual joy.]

Incline your ear [submit and consent to the divine will] and come to Me; hear, and your soul will revive; and I will make an everlasting covenant or league with you, even the sure mercy promised to David.

Seek, inquire for, and require the Lord while he may be found [claiming Him by necessity and by right]; call upon Him while He is near.

For you shall go out [from the spiritual exile caused by sin and evil into the homeland] with joy and be led forth [ by your Leader, the Lord Himself, and His word] with peace; the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

These verses are speaking of those who hunger and thirst for things which are not able to meet their needs and the Lord gives us a clear answer which meets that need sufficiently. He gives us the commands:

*Hearken diligently... and delight in that.
*Incline your ear and come.
*Hear and be revived
*Seek, inquire and require the Lord

We are rewarded in verse 12 ~
We will go out with joy being led by the Lord with peace... and even the mountains and hills will break forth in signing while the trees of the field clap their hands. Isn't that amazing?

Do you doubt the comfort that is found solely in His presence?

He is always good, my friend. Always Good. He is intent on blessing because that is His nature.

Rest and find comfort in His presence,  Hide yourself in the shadow of His wings, and  and delight in the  Joy of the Lord.

Below is my revision on some comfort foods I have made in my home recently,please bare with me, though as I rarely measure while I am cooking so I am attempting to "guesstimate". :)


Comfort Macaroni and Cheese
2 c. noodles.  ( I used some Ditalini Pasta instead of Elbow Macaroni and LOVED it.)
1 qt. of chicken broth ( or 1 qt of water and 2 bullion cubes)
4 oz. cream cheese
1/4 - 1/2 c. parmesan cheese
2 cups of  shredded cheddar cheese ( may add more if desired)
1/4 c. butter
1/4-1/2 c. milk
salt and pepper to taste

Cook the noodles in the broth till almost done. Turn off the heat and add the cream cheese till it melts into the broth. When the cream cheese melts, add the butter, parmesan cheese, milk  and stir well. Add the shredded cheddar cheese and stir till melted.  Add more cheese to suit your liking.
My family really likes it creamy so I add a little more milk to it.  You can put it in the oven to thicken it up if you  like that, and put a layer of shredded cheese on top.


Hamburger and Potato Casserole
*I have made a casserole like this for years. I have been playing with how to make it w/o using any canned soups. I think this is the best attempt I have tried.( Even better than the original.)

1-2 lbs. of hamburger
1 onion chopped
2-3 c. of milk ( just enough to cover your potatoes)
4-6 potatoes peeled and sliced

*Frozen corn
Shredded cheddar cheese

Brown hamburger and onion, season well to taste.  Pour into a 9 x 13 pan.
Cook the potatoes, adding salt, in the milk till they are done. The starch of the potatoes thickens the milk.

I put the about 1/2 - 1 c. of frozen corn on top of the hamburger and onion. Then I pour the milk and potatoes over the top, and spread the shredded cheese on top.  Bake at 350 for 35-45 min.


Easy Vanilla Cheesecake

Graham Pie Crust ( I make my own. 3 tbs. sugar, 1 1/2 c crushed graham crackers, 1/4 c. melted butter. Mix together and put in a pie plate.)
1 box of vanilla pudding
1 pkg of cream cheese
1 to 1 1/2 c. whipping cream
1 tsp.almond extract.

Cherry Pie Filling

Put the cream cheese in your mixer and whip it till it is creamy. Add the vanilla pudding and whipping cream and mix on medium for 2-3 min. until it is thick.  Stir the almond extract into the mixture. Pour into the prepared pie shell.
Layer with the Cherry Pie Filling. ( or substitute with your favorite)

Chill and enjoy!  This was great the day I made it but it was even better the next day. 








No comments:

Post a Comment