Hebrews 4:16

Let us then come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Saturday, September 21, 2013

~ Homeschooling Tidbits Week 1~ School, Snacks and Suggestions

It is hard to believe the year has flown by so fast and we are already in the throws of another school year. Yikes! Not to mention our oldest is now a senior.  I can remember that very first day of Kindergarten when this very nervous momma began this journey in Home Centered Education.  It has been quite a learning experience, and I can say,unashamedly, my own education has been redeemed in the process.  Praise God that in His infinite wisdom He can see through our faults and draw out of us the best of His goodness and plan through the guidance and revelation of His Holy Spirit.

Fast forward from that first day, of trembling and fear and learning our letters to today.. still trembling and a bit fearful, but learning about Philosophy and the tenets of American History, discussing the plot of Shakespeare's plays and being completely amazed at this marvelous child who has become a woman full of grace.  Isn't that the goal? Really?  It isn't just about the academics... it is about being truth-seekers, willing to do those hard things because if it is easy it probably isn't worth it.

So, in honor of my dear sweet girl I am sharing a few tips that she has taught me through the years.

Take a break from time to time..... and pray.
~ This journey is hard enough to walk through let alone the inability to give yourself a bit of grace and rest.   As a homeschooling momma, one of the best lessons I have learned is to take a break and pray.  My kids will even remind me, or sweetly suggest, " Mom, maybe you should pray.". :)

Stop and Listen..... and pray.
~They are working this thing called life out, too. They are trying to figure out who they are and what this thing of  'life' is.  All the while they are spending ridiculous amount time together with individuals who are genetically predisposed to some of the same tendencies to annoy each other that they have.  That combination, while at times can be enjoyable, other times wears down the sweetest saintly child ( or mom) there is.   This is about the time that I find my ability to get frustrated increase. Yet, when I stop.. listen to what is being said ( or not said) and pray.. then I always come away with the Wisdom which defies even the most reasonable argument. :)

Laugh and dance.
~ Sometimes we really need  a break to let loose, move and giggle.   This is an area I, personally, have to work hard at completing. Thankfully, the Lord saw fit, to bless  me with children who think they are humorous.  Or, at least, love a good dose of holy dancing, praise and worship  in the kitchen.   Let  your kids see you praising God in the hard times, laughing when you want to cry, and learning to be humble before one another. Learn to laugh together and see the strain of the day fade into beautiful memories. 


Yummy Food makes it all better.
~ I remember a book by Carol Barnier that was titled, "How to get them off the refrigerator and on to learning".   A great book that has really helped lots of families help their kids learn.  However, one thing that works in my family is food.  I have 2 teens and a pre-teen and I think that FOOD is their love-language.  It is a good thing I love to cook.      Food is definitely an incentive in my house.

Now these suggestions are on the lighter side of the whole education spectrum, of course, they are not the meat and potatoes of our curriculum or daily schedule.  They are, however, lessons learned in the trenches. Lessons that have kept us going through long days and short amounts of patience.  All seasoned, no doubt, with a little bit of grace.

Today as my oldest is focusing on a research paper contemplating the effect of one of the greatest  theologians in American History she looks at me and says,  " You know, Mom,  this would be a perfect time for a good snack. I think some chocolate chip cookie dough dip would really help me study."

I am not a push-over mom, most of the time.  But this is one instance where her love language was crying out, wondering if mom was listening and willing to add a little comfort.  If that is what it takes to see her dive into the role of a serious student.. the dip is the pool of joy I am willing be of service with.


Take time this weekend to pray and seek God's heart for you as you plan your home schooling week with  me.  This is my prayer focus this week,  from Jeremiah chapter 29:11-13: " 11For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

His plans for our children are good and resting in Him is a lesson I long to teach them by my own obedience. May He fill you up and to flowing over with the hope that resides deep in His heart fro you. ( Rom 15:13)

Blessings!
~ Dawn



 Ingredients:

1 container of Cream Cheese, softened

½ stick of butter, softened

½ cup of powdered sugar

½ cup of brown sugar

1 cup of chocolate chips

½ cup of pecans or toffee bits

1 tsp of vanilla
Directions:

Cream butter and cream cheese together. Mix in sugars, one at a time. Add vanilla and stir well. Stir in Chocolate Chips and any extra additions. ( toffee bits, nuts, or whatever yummy thing you can think of.)

Technically, you should ‘chill’ your dip and serve it cold. We, however, can’t wait  and usually eat it right away. It is yummy whichever you decide.

Serve with graham crackers, apples, or nilla wafers.

Download a printable recipe here.
 You can also find the recipe on my website  here.

No comments:

Post a Comment