Hebrews 4:16

Let us then come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Life Lessons from the Kitchen Sink

I used to HATE doing the dishes. It really was not my favorite thing to do. I would rather clean the bathroom than do the dishes. I am blessed, my husband bought me a nice dishwasher years ago and now I have that to take out the brunt of the "dish work" but I still have to load it and unload it. :)

Yes, I have 3 children who I should be training to do the work. And they do. Infact, my oldest daughter loves to do that. However, I have been finding that I don't hate the prospect of doing the dishes any more. Atleast I don't look at it in the same light.

I do use my dishwasher atleast once a day. We fill it up during the day and through meal preparations so that the accumulation of the veritable pieces of pottery do not consume my day. But God.. ( Don't you love those words.. But God?) He began to capture my heart on this and I am finding one of the sweetest times in my day is doing the dishes. Why?

Because I am stuck in one place. I am standing there doing a seemingly mindless job and have the freedom to reflect. I am able to pray,as the Bible tells us in 1 Thessalonians 5:17 " Pray without ceasing". I am able to be quiet before Him and hear what He is telling me. I am able to just enjoy being in His presence.

My kitchen sink sits in front of a window which faces our backyard. I have a wonderful view of our yard and am able to watch my children playing. I get to "watch" their joy and rejoice in their freedom. The freedom to be children, to laugh, to run and not care, to wonder, to be exuberant.... all those things that seem to fade as we become adults and parents and take on the cares of the world. (Matthew 11:28, 29 tells us to take Christ's yoke upon us and 1 Peter 5:7 reminds us to cast our cares upon Him for He cares for us.)

I can enjoy them and be reminded that the joyous times far outweigh the difficult times of being a parent. I wish I had a better grasp of the discipiling and disciplining of their hearts. I am still learning, but God's grace is so sufficient. (2 Cor. 12:9) I have not always been able to read those child rearing books with a light heart, I always come away seeing the mistakes I made rather than taking the good points. Yet, in those times of standing at the sink.. doing the dishes, the Lord can gently remind me of those precious promises that He alone has for me. He can encourage me and remind me of my purpose.

He has used this time to give me the wisdom to pray for my children. He reminds me that He has uniquely qualified me to co-parent these amazing young people by the gifts and talents He has given to me. I need to be reminded of this often. The gifts in us are divinely placed there to draw out the gifts and talents in our children so they can fulfill their destiny.

It has also been a time to spend with my children. After dinner atleast one of the kids will help me by drying the dishes I wash. This isn't a time of teaching or training but of just being together and I have found it to be so sweet. I remember watching the movie "Saving Sarah Cain", the oldest daughter was doing the dishes and said it was a favorite chore because it was her "telling time" with her mother. The time when her mother would spend with just her and tell her things, whatever came to mind, but they built their relationship. I loved that!

So, while a pile of dishes may give you a moment of grief, perhaps you can look at them a little differently and choose to take the time in doing a menial chore and turn it into a memory, a prayer session, or just a time of sitting at the feet of our awesome God.

1 Corinthians 10:31 "Whether therefore you eat, or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."

Many Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment